A smile certainly brightens the day, but you may not be smiling much if you have a cracked, chipped, or damaged tooth. Fortunately, this is an easy fix. Our dentist, Dr. Marshall Polan, offers resilient, long-lasting porcelain dental crowns that resemble real tooth crowns. The crown fully covers the natural tooth crown to ensure that it doesn’t incur further damage while also providing an outer structure that looks like a real tooth and is the perfect shape, size, and color.
Reasons for a Crown
So, why would someone need a dental crown? There are many reasons. Most of our patients that come into our practice with a cracked, damaged, severely worn, or infected tooth will benefit from a dental crown. Since this restoration surrounds what’s left of your tooth’s natural structure, it also becomes the part that everyone sees when you smile. Don’t worry; all the crowns that our team provides here in Huntington, NY, look just like natural teeth. There’s no reason anyone should know that you have crowns, but you.
Getting a Crown
Now that you know the purpose of a crown you probably want to know how we place one, right? It’s actually pretty simple and definitely painless. Here’s what to expect:
- We will numb the area around the tooth with a local anesthetic
- We will then shave down the tooth to make room for your crown
- We’ll take impressions of your teeth, which we will provide to a dental lab, so they can make a crown that’s perfectly fitted to your tooth’s measurements
- We will place a temporary crown over the tooth to protect it
- During your next visit (usually in about 3-4 weeks), you’ll come in so that we can remove the temporary crown and cement your new crown into place
We know that everyone leads busy lives these days, but we work with your schedule to make it easy to get the crown and restorative dentistry you need. We can provide you with various days and times that will work best for you so that you can get your beautiful new restoration without it impacting your work or personal life.
If you have questions about getting dental crowns, or you want to sit down with Dr. Polan to discuss dental options,
call our Huntington, NY practice at (631) 807-4272!